Thursday, April 04, 2013

Some recent developments

I am still trying to find and upload pics for some overdue update posts.  In the meantime, I figured I would share some recent events. 

Health-wise, poor Emily has been through the ringer lately.  She is a trooper and has handled it all in stride, but the poor kid needs a break!  Thankfully, she hasn't had to deal with anything serious, just a bunch of little things.

I had a cold a couple of weeks ago and shared my germs with Emily.  We both had runny noses, coughing and congestion. She missed school and therapy for a few days, so we got to spend even more time together.  Nice way to keep all the germs in one place!  The cold decided to stick around for quite a while.  Emily still has a bit of a cough.  It normally takes her a while to work through congestion anyway, but this cold really doesn't want to let go!  Each day gets better, thankfully.

Back in October, we noticed a bump on Emily's left eyelid.  It looked like she had a bug bite on her eye that swelled up.  We asked the pediatrician about it at her annual checkup.  We were told to put moist warm compresses on her eye and to follow up with the eye doctor if we got concerned about it.  After a couple of weeks, I spoke with a nurse at the eye doctor's office.  She told me to do moist warm compresses as often as possible.  She also suggested that I put baby shampoo on a cotton ball and scrub her eyelid with it (to be honest, I didn't even attempt that).  Then, we saw the eye doctor in December and was told the same thing...warm compresses.

Emily still has this bump on her eye.  If you run your finger across the lid, it feels like a hard pea.  We have continued with the warm compresses multiple times a day and the bump did get smaller at one point, but then started to get bigger.  So we made another appointment with the eye doctor.  The bump is called a chalazion.  It is basically a blocked oil gland.  Even though the bump has been there for almost 6 months, and the compresses have made little difference, the doctor was not at all concerned. She said they can go away on their own.  I don't really see that happening at this point.  We have surgery scheduled in May, but in the meantime, the doctor has given us some new instructions: hold a peeled hard-boiled egg on her eye instead of the moist warm compresses.  The egg holds the heat longer than a wash cloth and may shrink the chalazion.  If that works, then the surgery can be canceled.  We shall see...

Here is a picture from Easter that really shows the bump (follow the arrow in the picture).  It looks terrible, but doesn't seem to bother Emily at all. 

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a spot on Emily's side near her rib cage.  It was pale in the middle and more red around the edges.  It was about the size of the tip of my index finger.  I was worried that it could be a bed sore or pressure sore, so I asked one of her therapists.  She told me it did not look like any pressure sore she had ever seen.  I was relieved to hear that, but still had no idea what it was.  We started putting some antibacterial ointment on it and a week later it still looked the same.  I called the pediatrician and was told to try an anti fungal cream.  We tried that for a few days and still didn't notice any difference.  As a matter of fact, I noticed a rash spreading all over Emily. 

So, I took her to the pediatrician Tuesday morning.  We found out that she has pityriasis rosea.  The doctor showed me some pictures in a book and Emily's marks looked exactly the same as the pictures.  There was no doubt that the diagnosis was correct. The rash can last 6-8 weeks and there is no treatment.  We just have to wait for it to go away on it's own.  It doesn't seem to bother her at all and it is not contagious.  So that is good.

On top of all that (or maybe because of it), Emily had 2 seizures this weekend.  She typically has about 1 seizure a month.  They are usually very mild and last about a minute.  On Saturday, after her bath, she had a 1 minute seizure, so I figured that was her one for the month.  Then on Monday morning, when I got her out of bed, she had a 2-3 minute seizure.  It kind of freaked me out!  That is long for her and I was starting to wonder if I was going to have to get some rescue meds to make the seizure stop.  I felt so helpless just watching it happen and knowing that I could not stop it!  What an awful feeling!  She was a bit dazed after the seizure, but then she was perfectly fine.  She went to school and had a great day.

Through all of this, she has been in a great mood and happy as can be.  Nothing gets her down.  She really is a trooper!  Hopefully as the weather warms up, things will quiet down.  We sure hope so.

3 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

An egg. That's interesting. Poor Emily! She's really having a rough time this spring!

Laura said...

My son got chalazions for a couple years!. They are so frustrating. He ended up getting them in both lids and even has a scar from one that kept coming back. He learned to push the wash cloth away really fast despite having minimal use of his arms. Fortunately the docs were right and they've finally gone away but I feel your pain. Hang in there!

Kerrie said...

Little Miss Emily is such a trooper. No doubt she gets it from her amazing parents! Miss you guys. Here's hoping the warm weather brings good health!