Wednesday, May 11, 2011

EEG Results

I wanted to follow up on this post.

I did call the neurologist's office to let them know about Emily's 3 minute seizure the night after the EEG. The nurse was going to talk to the doctor and get back to me. She was sure that he wanted to read the results of the test before making any decisions about med changes.

When she called back, she told me that the EEG did not show any seizure activity, but it did show some abnormal activity. I was not surprised to hear that. I didn't see any seizures while we were there, so I didn't expect anything to show on the test results. And given Emily's brain injury, abnormal activity is normal for her.

Since, she had the seizure the night after the test, the doc wants to increase the dosage of her current meds. So we are in the process of increasing her Keppra to 7mls twice a day (we can go up to 10mls, if needed). Rather than trying something else at this point, I would rather try the increase. She has not had any nasty side effects on this medication and until last December, her seizures were completely under control. So we will pray that this increase will do the trick. We have not seen any seizures since the night after the EEG, so that is a good start!

3 comments:

Libby said...

Hi there, I found your blog through "life of logan." I enjoyed it so much! Emily is precious and I loved going back and reading up!
I will definitely be back checking for new post! My blog is new, but i'm trying to fancy it up and get things going...stop by anytime!

*I hope everything goes good with seizures and pray that everything stays under control.

Stephanie said...

It would have been nice to catch that seizure on the EEG but at least the dr. is understanding. Am I correct in assuming that increasing the amount of each med is normal? Kinda like giving your child a larger dose of cold medicine as they weigh more? I know that is a super simplistic example. I guess I'm asking if Emily's seizures are getting worse or if her meds are losing effectiveness because she's growing so big?

Jenna said...

hi
My name is Jenna and I came across your blog. Emily is a courageous, strong and determined fighter. She is a Brave Warrior, Smilen Champ and an Inspirational Hero.
I was born with a rare life threatening disease.
www.miralcechamp.webs.com