Sunday, January 16, 2011

Yes, we are still here

It has been a really long time since I have posted something to the blog. To say that I have been a slacker, would be a major understatement. And the more time that passes, the harder it is to get back to blogging. There are so many things to tell you. A lot can happen in 2 months! So rather than write an extremely long blog post updating you on everything that has happened, I will try to do a series of shorter posts dealing with one thing at a time.

For now, I will tell you about the exciting week we have had here.

On Monday, Emily had a doctor's appointment in the morning and then school in the afternoon. It has been pretty cold here (in the 20's usually). All day long, I could feel myself getting sick. I had a dry scratchy throat all day and by nighttime, I just felt run down.

We got snow on Tuesday. Since we live at the top of a very steep hill, it only takes an inch of snow to make our roads a mess. So I figured we would skip Emily's preschool program at the hospital (which was convenient since I felt terrible by this time). School was canceled that day and on Wednesday as well. So we hung out at home. I took some Tylenol and tried my best to keep my germs to myself.

On Wednesday, Mike took the day off work to take care of Emily and I spent most of the day in bed. I had a pretty good fever that made me feel like a limp noodle. Mike was nice enough to drive me to the doctor on Wednesday afternoon when the roads had cleared up a bit. That turned out to be a wasted trip. She told me that I had a virus and it just had to take its course. She did give me a script for nasal spray and told me to continue with Tylenol and maybe add Zyrtec.

On Thursday, school was back in session with an hour delay, but by then Emily was sick. She looked like a zombie most of the day. I took her temp in the afternoon and it was 102! So much for not sharing my germs! She sounds exactly like I do. She has a terrible cough. She sometimes loses her voice completely. It breaks my heart to know that I made her sick! She did not sleep well that night. She was up several times and so were we. Mike ended up taking the day off work again on Friday. By then, I was starting to feel a bit better and thankfully, Emily's fever was steadily dropping.

The funny thing is, except for the one night of little sleep, Emily has been in a really good mood through all of this. She has been giggly and cheery despite the fact that she sounds like she could cough up a lung on the carpet at any moment! She has no school on Monday, so I am hoping the extra day off will give her the rest that she needs to get back into the swing of things at some point this week. I am pretty sure she is tired of staring at the same 4 walls.

4 comments:

Mam-ma said...

Dawn, prayerfully, this will be a better week...with health restored and things getting back on track for you, Mike and precious little Emily. It is one thing when we are under the weather, but when our babies are sick, now that does give us reason to feel a little more anxious!!!!

How we love reading your blog. As I told Mike, "someday, you can put all of your blogs into a book and it will be a BEST SELLER."

We love you!!! and miss seeing you!!!

Sharon and Shirley

Sarah said...

I hope you're all feeling better soon. I've been sleeping as much as possible so my run down feeling does not turn into actual sickness.

M said...

So sorry you guys have been sick! Those weeks are long! Hoping you all have a happy healthy week this week!

Anonymous said...

Hate to hear you've had such a rough week of sickness but praying things definitely improve quickly. Glad to see you posting again. Though I totally understand how time slips by, I have missed reading how things are going with you all.

Love to the three of you.

Lynn