Monday, November 08, 2010

Moving on up

You might remember the picture of Emily's room from our little tour a while back.
Emily's room is the only one that we had painted before we moved in. The room was originally blue. Blue is my favorite color, but I didn't want her first room to be blue. It just didn't feel right. Before picking a paint color, I figured I should pick out some new bedding for the twin bed she would be getting. That was no small task! Most kid's bedding has a character on it. Emily isn't into any particular characters. Plus, I wanted to get something that would last a while. So I picked something that I thought was cute and not too young looking. So if she has it for a few years, that would be OK. The main thing I tried to incorporate was the color purple since that is Emily's favorite color.

Emily was long overdue for a twin bed, as you can see from this picture of her in her crib.
Not only was she too long for the crib, she couldn't even stretch out her arms because they would hit the bumper on the sides. If we had the space in our old apartment, I would have moved her to a twin bed long ago. There was no room, so we had to wait until we moved. I knew exactly what bed I wanted to buy because I stole the idea from Holly over at Caleigh's Corner. She moved Caleigh to a big bed earlier this year and I feel in love with the bed that she bought at Ikea.

We have a store about an hour from us. Mike and I went there one Saturday and bought Emily a new bed and dresser. He had lots of fun putting them together. Then we took Emily to a few stores and let her try out mattresses. We had so much fun! We would lay her down and watch her reaction to each mattress. She definitely showed a preference for the mattresses with a bit of padding on top. She was much more relaxed and seemed to feel more secure. We made sure we picked one that was firm with just a bit of padding and it has been a big hit.

Here is a shot of Emily's new furniture.
I wanted a dresser that was short and long instead of tall and narrow. I had this crazy notion that I would eventually be able to change Emily's diaper on it. I know that we will be dealing with diapers for a while. As she gets older, I don't want her to have a changing table in her room, so I figured we could use the dresser for that purpose. It was a good theory. Right now, we are changing Emily on a pad on the floor because she freaks out when you lay her down on a table or dresser that is up high. Maybe that will change in time.

Our plan was to have Emily in her new bed by her birthday (which was almost a month ago, so you can see I am a little behind in sharing). We started out with naps during the day. She did great in her bed right from the beginning, so we probably could have just switched her over one night. We just figured we would play it safe, since she doesn't always adapt well to change. Of course, she has done a great job with all of the changes that have come her way in the past few months. I think she was happy to have the extra space to stretch out!
The weekend of her birthday, we moved her to the new bed and the move went very well. She never had any problems at all. We originally had a bed rail (as you can see in the picture above), but ran into some issues with it. It would not go up and down very easily. We had to keep lifting her over the rail and that was not good for our backs! So we returned the rail and got a Bed Bug Bumper instead (you can see it in the picture of the made bed above). That has worked out SO much better.

I think this little cutie is pretty happy with her new bed.

9 comments:

Big brother, Little sister. said...

I LOVE that bed! it looks beautiful and fit for a princess :)

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

What a great bed!! So girly and sweet. :)

I keep thinking I should take the rail off Sam's crib and convert it to a daybed but he's not climbing out yet and I like keeping him contained for now so I'm putting it off. We've never converted the crib because there was always another baby to go into it. :) I have no idea what we'll do for his bed once we move. I also want to get a headboard and matching furniture for Ellie. But first I have to sell this house. One step at a time, right?

Anonymous said...

Love the new furniture, bed looks very cozy and shows just how big she is growing. Congrats on your "new room" little Em. And by the way, did she happen to have a recent haircut too?

Lynn

Holly said...

Yay! I'm so glad you love the bed. The first night Caleigh slept in it I was in awe of just how little she looked in a big grown up bed.

I love the idea of the bed bumper. We've had a terrible time with the rail. I'm pretty sure I broke it. We just lift Caleigh over the rail now.

I do think Miss Emily got a haircut? It looks super cute in that last picture.

Anonymous said...

You can never go wrong with purple! I had a purple wedding. :o) Love the big girl room - and the bed is adorable. So glad she's adjusting well and that you have so much more room - but still wish ya'll were just down the street!

Lots of Love,
The Burts

Faith said...

What a cute bed!! Ike rocks! I came via bird on the street. Nice to meet you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info about the bed bug bumper! Our sweetie has wiggled and gotten her head between the toddler rail and her bed rail, so that has been freaky for us, so I am ordering the bed bug bumper - thanks again for sharing and I love her bed and covers!

Dannette (mom in Kansas who follows your blog)

The VW's said...

Your sweet Emily is just precious!!! Such a cutie!

I'm not sure if I've been to your blog before, but I am glad I did today....thanks for sharing the info on your new bed and bumpers that you got for Emily! I have been wondering what to do with our son, Gavin, and this looks like a great idea! So Thanks! :)

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

Hey, that's the SAME bed that MY Emily has!! :) We made a fourth side out of wood and it's attached. So now it's like one giant crib! :) She is getting too mobile for it though, so hopefully our Make A Wish will come through with her Sleep Safe Bed quickly.

I love her new room. And I am in LOVE with her dresser!!