Sunday, August 29, 2010

Some adjustments needed

I cannot believe that August is almost over! This month has flown by! I have failed to keep the blog updated as I had hoped, but that seems to be the way it goes lately. Just not enough hours in the day to do everything that I would like to do!

It has been pretty busy here. Mike has completed 2 full weeks of work and it has been quite an adjustment. He has not worked 40 hours a week in many, many years. In the past few years, he has been his own boss, so reporting to someone else and having to keep a set schedule is an adjustment too. He is still learning the ropes, but so far, he loves his new job. He works with great people who have exciting plans for future growth. Mike is anxious to jump right in and do his part. Plus, he gets to eat great lunches every day prepared by a chef (a major step up from his usual PB & J). Other than his concern about getting fat, so far so good.



This is Mike's office.


This is his VERY long commute to work everyday. I don't know how he does it!


This is the road coming up to our house. We basically live at the top of a very steep hill.


Since Mike has finished 2 weeks at his new job, that means I have too. I am loving being home with Emily. LOVING it! I am super busy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I think I have already mentioned that she has adjusted pretty well. She has been happy and content, for the most part. She did get sick a few days after we got here. I still think the new surroundings just kicked her allergies into high gear. She took a round of antibiotics and seems to be doing much better now. Of course, I said that to someone yesterday and she woke up this morning very congested and crying. Along those same lines: Whenever I tell people that Emily is a good sleeper, she always wakes up crying that night. She likes to make a liar out of me!

My only complaint since we have been here is the number of times she has wet her bed. If you have ever changed a crib sheet, you know that it is NO fun! She is on a feeding pump all night long, so she is constantly taking in fluid. We use nighttime diapers and they have worked very well in the past. Once in a great while, we would have an overflow, but you would be amazed what those things can hold! Well, she has recently changed diaper sizes (went from a 4 to a 5). We were trying to use up the rest of the 4's, but decided to buy some 5's to see if the small diaper was the issue. Nope! So then we tried another brand and that has helped some, but it is still happening more often than I would like. I have started to put a waterproof pad in her crib. So now I just have to wash that instead of changing the sheets every time it happens.

Who can resist that face?


I think I have already mentioned that we have been to her new pediatrician's office. We did not see the doctor that I wanted to see because it was a sick visit. The doctor we saw was very nice. She is the one that gave us the script for the antibiotics. I briefly mentioned getting new doctors here and she gave me some info about the children's hospital that is not too far away. A couple of days later, I received a call from them saying that she sent a referral and they were following up. I have an appointment in September to talk about outpatient therapy for Emily there. They offer OT, PT, Speech and even Aqua Therapy. They also offer therapy in a classroom type setting. I am looking forward to getting more information about that. Even if Emily does not do that, it might give me some good ideas of what to ask the school district for when Emily goes to school.

I am still trying to get things set up with First Steps (the Early Intervention program in KY). We had our IFSP meeting before we moved in July and set goals for Emily, so I figured we would move here and they would just plug in new therapists. That has not been the case. I have not been terribly impressed with my new coordinator. I have spoken to her a few times and my impression is that she is very scattered. I feel like I have to keep telling her what she needs to be doing. Not fun, but since we are only in First Steps until October, I am going to just stick it out with her. We are supposed to meet this week with all of the therapists so we can get the ball rolling. I am anxious to get moving, since Emily has not had any therapy in about a month.

The coordinator is also supposed to be setting up meetings with the board of education to get the ball rolling for school. I am anxious for that to get started too, but I am learning that this woman does not work on my time table. She goes at a much slower pace. Patience isn't a quality that I possess, but I am working on it. I did find out which school is in our district and I am going to visit next week. I talked to the woman that would be Emily's teacher and she was very nice. I am excited to visit the school and see the classroom firsthand. If Emily does go to this school, she would go Monday through Thursday from 8:30 to 12. We will visit in the morning so we can see some of the kids that will be in class with her.

In general, things have been going well. We are pretty well settled in at this point. There are still some things to unpack. We still have to hang things on the wall and get curtains and things like that. We have had a lot of stuff in storage for the past 6 years, so we are slowly unpacking those boxes. It is a little like Christmas! Some things we are happy to keep and find a place for and some things we are happy to bring to Goodwill. We are also finding our way around fairly well at this point. We are pretty much in the middle of nowhere. That has been a big adjustment for me. We grew up in RI - there is nothing far away in RI! There is nothing near us but farms, so going grocery shopping is quite a trip! We are getting used to the windy country roads and passing tractors along the way. It is definitely interesting!

1 comment:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Poor Mike. That commute is a killer! ALMOST as bad as yours was. Also, that driveway looks like it's better than a gym! :D