Saturday, May 01, 2010

Some mysteries can have a simple, but messy explanation

I have been a terrible blogger lately. Terrible! I just feel like I don't have enough hours in the day to do everything that I would like to do. I have not been updating my own blog and I have not been reading other blogs very much either. Far too many days fly by and I wonder where the time has gone. I am desperately trying to make sure that I am focused on the important things and that means that the not-as-important things don't get much attention. Isn't that how it should be? In a nutshell I am trying to find balance. I have been a working mom for 2 1/2 years now and I feel like I should have a better handle on things by now. I get very little time with Emily each day and sometimes that makes me feel like I don't really contribute at all. That is crazy! But sometimes our feelings don't make any sense at all!

This week has been pretty crazy around here. Monday, Mike took the day off and we had a respite nurse come to take care of Emily. She is very nice and we are so thankful to have a nurse that we are comfortable with. Emily was a little whiny with her, but I didn't think anything of it. She had only met her once before and I figured she was a little weirded out by spending the day with someone she didn't know all that well. Then Tuesday rolled around. Emily was cranky ALL day. She was whiny and would cry at the drop of a hat. She had an appointment with her speech therapist and even she said she thought Emily seemed "off" even though Emily didn't cry the whole time she was here.

Wednesday was pretty much the same. She was very cranky and whiny all day. She even gave Mike a hard time at play group. She did not want to be in her wheelchair and was just plain crabby. We took her to church on Wednesday night and she was perfectly fine (she likes to make us look like liars when she is out in public). We got home and when I was giving her a bath, she had a major meltdown. She cried when I started washing her face and didn't stop. When she gets really worked up, she cannot seem to calm herself down. So we really have to help her to get herself together. I ended up sitting on my bed rocking her for about 10 minutes before putting her down to bed.

Thursday was another day of whining and crying at the drop of a hat. She was supposed to have PT but that was canceled. After dinner, I went to the Y to meet with a trainer (we just joined the Y in the hopes of getting healthy - sitting on the couch really isn't cutting it!). One side note: the trainer that I met at the Y was a really cool guy. He is in his 40's and has been working at the Y for a while. He has CP and he kicked my butt on the elliptical machine! We had a great conversation about living with CP and how he has overcome many odds. It was such a blessing! So back to the story...When I got home Mike told me that Emily had an explosion. He really does get to have all the fun! Well after that ugly incident, Emily was back to her old self again and has been great ever since.

This whole week, Mike and I kept talking about what we thought was going on with Emily and why she was having a tough time. We thought it could be teething (always a good excuse around here!), stomach aches, or any number of things. We kept saying we knew it wasn't constipation because she had been pooping regularly the whole week. But now I have to wonder if what we thought was regular wasn't very regular at all and the poor kid was in pain the whole time.

2 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Glad Emily's feeling better! The Y sounds great! Wish you were still around the corner and we could run together - since we're the same height and out-of-shapness. :)

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Dawn, I think the good thing about blogging is that you can come back whenever you feel like it. when you have time :)
I have missed you tho!
I am glad Emily felt better after her explosion! lol gee that is a few days feeling grumpy though, poor thing.
It is really hard to find the balance I have been having that issue lately too, all just part of the rollercoaster journey no doubt :)

Bron xoxoo