Friday, May 28, 2010

Drastic Measures

I don't remember the last time Emily got her hair cut. I could probably check the blog archives, but that would take time and effort. Let's just say it has been a while. A LONG while. I felt like I had to do something before Mike took her in for a buzz cut.


When Emily had her hair cut in the past, some (Lisa!) have said that they could not even tell that it was cut, even though we took inches off. This time around, I was ready to do something drastic! Every time I brush Emily's hair she cries. She doesn't cry during the brushing - it is usually after and you would think I had tortured her. This routine was getting really old! Having a ton of hair in her face constantly was really old too. Every time she had therapy we had to put 6 clips in her hair to keep it back. It was a really interesting look.


I decided to get some before and after shots this time around so you can all see the difference. Try to ignore the excited look on Emily's face and just focus on the hair length.
Of course, I thought of taking pictures after I put Emily's hair back. I tried to pull the hair forward on the sides so you could get an idea of the length. (she had just finished her after-brushing cry)

Mike decided to help me out. That is some ponytail!

Right before we left for the salon, I tried to brush out her hair and get a shot. Again, there was the after-brushing cry and the overall excitement with the picture taking. Her hair isn't really that wavy - that is the ponytail bump.

Just before we left, I decided to get one shot from the back. You get the idea now - the hair was LONG.


Well, I decided to take a lot off the length and to do some bangs. That was the only way I could think to keep all that hair out of her face. I was nervous about the idea of bangs because Emily's hair has some curl to it, but I figured I had to get over it. We have always taken Emily to the same salon. The woman there is very sweet with Emily. I think we are her most challenging customer. Emily cannot sit up so we have to get pretty creative. I hold her facing me (like Mike did in the picture above) and then switch shoulders so she can get all sides. I also had to sit her on my lap and hold her head up so she could cut the front. Emily did pretty well during the whole process, but she does get antsy when you are holding her. So I sat for a while, then stood for a while. It is very tricky (and one of the reasons I had put it off so long). There was a lot of hair on the floor (and us) by the time we left.


This was the result of what I think is Emily's first "big girl" haircut:
When the hairdresser cut Emily's bangs they were straight across her forehead. It didn't take long for them to sweep to the side like that. She has a natural part on the side and her bangs just followed suit. It is very cute.

Here she is after a bath that night. The hairdresser was worried about cutting off Emily's curls. I didn't see that as a bad thing since they added to the out of control state that was her hair. Not sure if you can tell from this picture, but the curls were already starting to come back (she does have hair like her mom!).

Here is a shot from the back. Her hair just touches her shoulders now. It is so much easier to brush now. She still whines a bit, but since I am done so quickly she doesn't have time to get really worked up (win-win!).


Just for fun, I thought I would throw in a few cute shots of Emily having fun doing OT. It makes me so happy that she has so much fun while doing therapy.

12 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Love the new look!

Ellie also cries and complains when I do her hair. Partly because she wiggles around and it takes longer. And partly because she's constantly getting something in it which makes it tangle.

It's so much easier with the boys! 5 minutes with the buzzers and we're done for 6-8 weeks.

Cindy and Brooke said...

Cute! I love the new look!

Katy said...

Cute, cute Cute! Love it with the little clip.

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Dawn, she looks so grown up and just as precious.
I love seeing all her pics she is just so beautiful.
Bron xo

Jenny and Steve Douglas said...

I love the new haircut, and the bangs just work for her!

Sarah said...

Curly hair curls, no matter how short you go. (That's my love/hate relationship with it) I'm with you on the hair & PT problems. It's become one of the main reasons I get my hair cut these days. Shorter is better, just make sure you can still pull some of it back, or the curls will flow (and get in the way). How I wish I could pull off bangs, at least once. :)

Kristina said...

Awww....I love the new big girl haircut! We haven't cut Emma's hair yet at all and she's almost the same age as Emily. Boy, is Emily blessed with beautiful hair!

Michelle said...

oh my goodness her hair cut is absolutely adorable!!

TherExtras said...

Her new 'do is so pretty!

She does look happy with the OT!

Barbara

Holly said...

What a beautiful little girl! I love the new haircut. She is so darn stinking adorable ;-)

Jenkins said...

So much hair! I am impressed you lasted that long with long hair.
The new do is ADORABLE! She only gets cuter.

Auntie Christine said...

I LOVE THAT HAIR CUT! THE CUTEST EVER!