Tuesday, February 02, 2010

A few updates

I have been meaning to update you on a few things, so what follows is just a random list of thoughts...

Emily had aqua therapy last week. It went pretty well. She cried a bit, but we expected that. She will have to get used to the water again. She will also have to get used to the new therapist. Mike said he really like the therapist so that is a good thing. She will go every other week. We are looking forward to this.

She has a new top tooth (on the right of the middle ones). I am guessing the left one isn't far behind. She also seems to be working on a bottom molar (joy oh joy!). She is starting to get a little "blister" on her gums back there. That is exactly what her gums looked like before the first molars came in...all at the same time. The skin would kind of blister up and eventually come off when her teeth moved up to the gum level. I remember her mouth bleeding a bit when this happened. It did not look like fun!

The teeth grinding has continued, unfortunately. I have tried several tricks that have been suggested and she just doesn't want to quit grinding her teeth. I am convinced that this could be used as a form of torture. There have been quite a few nights when I went to sleep on the couch because I could not take the noise anymore!

I don't think I have mentioned this on the blog, but we are trying to move. We have already given our "notice" (or whatever you call it) at our apartment complex. We told them we would be out by March 1. We are looking to rent a house in a different county. A county that has more school options for Emily. Incidentally, it is also the county where all of her doctors and therapists seem to be located. So far, we have not have much luck. We are hoping that changes really soon, because I don't want to live in our car. We are hoping to get a 3 bedroom so that Emily can finally have her own room. I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to think about Emily having her own room. Of course, I know that I will have to adjust to not having her right there next to me, but I am willing to do it.

Tomorrow is the big day for Emily. She will have surgery on her ingrown toenails. OUCH! We have to stop her feeding pump at 12 am. She has to be there at 7am. That will be the beginning of a very long day, I have no doubt. She will need to be sedated and I am nervous about that. The last time she was sedated for an ABR (hearing test) she was not herself for days after. I am hoping we do not have a repeat of that experience. I also hope that we are able to manage her pain pretty well. We would appreciate your prayers for her and for us.

7 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I wonder if her grinding is associated with her teething and ingrown toenails. I used to grind (really really really bad) and it's always related to my RA aches and pains. I would wake up with Joel leaning over me, holding my bottom jaw and hissing 'stop grinding.' So he's very sympathetic to your pain. :)

Manchester's Ingrown Toenail Clinic said...

I hope that Emily's ingrown toenail surgery went as well as can be expected. It may take a few weeks for them to heal but in the long run Emily will be much better off without the pain that an ingrown nail can cause. Good luck with your move!

Katy said...

I had ingrown toenails taken care of and the numbing stuff worked great--I don't remember a lot of pain. I bet the toughest part will be the sedation/waiting around.

Good luck with the move thing--I find that things sometimes just work in that area, so just keep asking for exactly what you want.

Anonymous said...

We'll continue to pray for the move and the surgery.

Lynn

Michelle said...

Praying that everything went well with the surgery and no complications!

You're also in my prayers that you can find just the house you're looking for in the county you want to move to!

Love the family pic on the right sidebar!

Jenkins said...

I hope everything is going well in your house...the aqua therapy, teeth, moving, surgery...are you busy?

Anonymous said...

ingrown nails - the nail at the edge growing toward the toe, am i right? if so, to prevent - alway cut the nails after shower. check at least twice a week.. look out for the harder skin on the toes/ fingers - indication of the nail touching the skin