Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas 2009: It was a lazy, mellow, quiet kind of day

The Saturday before Christmas, Emily and I made some cookies. I used my sister's recipe for Ricotta cookies - YUM! Emily helped by looking adorable, holding the recipe for me on her tray and listening to me ramble on and on about what I was doing.

On Christmas Eve, Emily had OT in the morning. She got to play with some toys and work with her switches. She likes her OT so she was "happy-clicking" away. I worked until 12 and then Mike spent the afternoon running around while I enjoyed some quiet time with my girl.

I didn't get any pictures of the opening of presents because we didn't wrap them. I know I am a terrible parent! We did open two boxes that came in the mail - one from Grandma & Poppy and one from my brother and his family. Emily was pretty fascinated by everything. She got a new book that she really liked and some DVDs (she LOVES Veggie Tales). She also got a new puzzle. She isn't super excited about the puzzle, but it is a good therapy toy. It is a wooden puzzle that has knobs instead of pegs, so she can work on her grasp.

On Christmas day, we celebrated Jesus' birthday with a few cupcakes (I get one for Emily and one for Mike - I don't really like cake all that much).

Emily wasn't sure what to make of the candle (or maybe it was the singing).

Dad helped her to get a taste of the frosting.
I think she liked it!

Yeah, frosting is DEFINITELY a hit!We spent the rest of the day relaxing. We watched a Christmas movie or two. We had some fried chicken for dinner (YUM!) and just had a mellow day. We wished we could have been with our families for Christmas, but that was not possible this year. Next year, we hope to spend Thanksgiving or Christmas with family, Lord willing. Hope you had a wonderful holiday celebration.

6 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I think she has a sweet tooth! We had a birthday cake for Jesus. My kids react to cake the same way Emily did. :)

Territory Mom said...

The quiet and mellow holidays are the best!!!

Holly said...

Looks like ya'll had a great day! I love the look on Emily's face when she's tasting the icing. So cute!

I don't know if you've checked or not, but you won my LOFT giveaway! $200 straight to you :-) When you go shopping ask for the stylist to help you. There is usually one working. I'm not sure if someone will contact you or what the procedure is, but I will let you know when I find out. Congrats!

Merry Christmas!

Sarah Benn said...

We hope to see you for the holidays next year too! Glad you had a much better Christmas than Thanksgiving.

Marie said...

I'm just getting caught up since I slowed up my reading during Christmas week. That really looks like a great Christmas. Your heart might be hurting a bit because this is not the kind of Christmas you imagined when you thought of having a family. You probably imagined having yourselves surrounded with family and friends and indulging in the big nosiy celebrations of your childhood if you are anything like me. Right now Emily needs things a bit quieter. That's okay too. This is an awesome time to love and cherish together. As Emily grows older and becomes more secure and you learn things you can do to make those big celebrations easier you will get there again. You are still in the early days yet. You and your little girl will understand each other better with each passing day and it will get easier. You'll look back and wonder why you could not have relaxed a bit more back then. And the unwrapped presents? You're not horrible parents. You are great parents who take into account what will bring your little one joy rather than trying to make her fit into the box that other children go in. :)
I hope my comments aren't way off base and you find some encouragement in them.

therextras said...

That's the kind of Christmas I like, too. Love the way you included Emily while you were baking. And giving her tastes of good stuff is wonderful.

Barbara