Saturday, November 28, 2009

Update on the past week

This week has gone pretty well. Emily has settled in quite nicely. When we got home Monday night, she was pretty cranky (who wouldn't be after sitting in a car for 18 hours?). We finally got her calmed down and put her to bed. She looked around her crib and her whole demeanor changed. It seemed like peace had come across her face. She seemed to know that she was in her own bed and that made her happy. She has been back to herself ever since. That has given us confirmation that we made the right choice to cut our trip short. Not sure what that means for any future travel plans, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.


I wanted to share some of the (few) pictures we took on our short trip to Rhode Island...



Emily hanging out with Ty Patty in the car. This was during the first part of our drive to RI when she was still quite content.



Here is Emily hanging out with my sister Lisa and my niece Lauren.



This was the first time my dad had met Ty Patty. He was pretty amused by Ty and his many adventures.



My sister's whole family with Emily: Courtney, Lauren, Lisa, Steven. You can see Emily looking at the dog Jacoby. He was pretty fascinated with her too - we had to keep him away from her because he would get so excited.


My nieces both decided to pose with Ty Patty. It isn't every day that they get to meet a world traveler!


Here is Emily snuggling with Mike's aunt Barbara. She made a special trip to come see us before we left and I think she enjoyed her visit with Emily.


Unfortunately, we didn't take very many pictures while we were there. *sigh*


When we got home, Mike and I started talking about what we would do for Thanksgiving. We figured we would just spend the day at home by ourselves (and truth be told, we were not excited about that prospect). We didn't take into account our wonderful church family. They were looking out for us. A family invited us to join them for dinner and we were so thankful. We really enjoyed the great food and great company. Emily enjoyed herself too.


Another church family came over on Friday night to babysit Emily so Mike and I could have a night out. I tell you, our church family is the BEST! Mike and I went out to eat and then went to a new place that has opened in town. I think it is called Family Fun Center, or something like that. They have pool tables, video games and air hockey. We played pool for a while. Mike would tell you that he won quite a few games and then let me win a few, but that would be wrong. He did win most of the games, but the ones that I won were hard earned victories. I have picked up some of his technique along the way and he doesn't like it when I use it against him. : )


A side note: Emily will be going for her 23 hour EEG on December 9th. We were surprised that we were able to get in so quickly. Let's hope that this test will give us a clear picture of what is going on in Emily's brain.


The last thing I wanted to share is a video of Emily in one of her finer moments in Rhode Island. She was feeling very giggly and we caught it on video (my niece was saying later that she thought Emily was just overtired and laughing at anything - she might be right). Enjoy!


6 comments:

Marie said...

I'm glad your Thanksgiving turned out so great! Great decision!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for still visiting our blog, even though the posts are kind of sparse... I wanted to let you know that I do check your blog regularly, and enjoy getting all the updates on Emily. God has been so kind and faithful to you. By the way, you guys crack me up with that Ty character ;)

Katy said...

Glad you're home and everything has calmed down. Travel is tough on everyone, isn't it?

Territory Mom said...

I'm so glad you have a good church family. I love the pics and the video. You are such a great mom!!

Kristina said...

It seems like it all worked out ok after all! Glad you had a wonderful holiday and a date night - gotta love them!

Thanks for posting the video of Emily laughing. It made my night! I just love the laughter!

Jenkins said...

I love, love, love the video. That is the best giggle! How great to capture it! It made me smile.