Thursday, August 06, 2009

Caution: she really is larger than she appears


Our little "Weed" never ceases to amaze us! We met with Emily's nutritionist today and we have the latest stats:
Weight - 27 lbs. 4 oz.
Height - 35 inches

She is near the 75th percentile for weight and holding steady at 90th for height. Her height for weight remains pretty constant hovering around 50th percentile - which is good. Extra weight is not helpful for a kid who already struggles with moving.

Did you catch that? My daughter(who is not even 2 yet), is almost 3 feet tall! What on earth will we do when she is 7 feet tall and we have to take her to kindergarten? I am pretty sure she won't fit at the little desks and tables!

Seriously, we are so thankful that she is healthy and growing. For most kids with CP, gaining weight is a challenge, eating is a challenge, and digestion problems are usually part of the deal. Those things, as well as other issues, can cause doctors to use a label that no one wants to hear: failure to thrive. Far too often, kids with CP are labeled in this way. We are thankful that we haven't had to worry about that with Emily. She is getting the right amount of calories through her g-tube and baby food/oatmeal. Clearly, it is working for her.

Now, I just have to start lifting weights to keep up with her!

9 comments:

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Fantastic news!!! I understand how hard it is for our kids to gain weight. Cooper did not hit that weight till he was 4 so I am super impressed! yay Emily xoxoxo she is looking fantastic in the latest pics too :)

ShannonDBR said...

JUst happen to find your blog through a trail that I'm not even sure I can even repeat if I wanted to.

I would like to follow your blog, but I can't seem to find where to do so.

I have CP. Stop by and take a look at my blog when you get a chance {:)

Take Care & Many More Blessings,

Shannon

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! This is great news! Go Little Em!

I guess you better get some weight-lifting equipment and begin your new hobby (include pics please).

Missin' ya.
Lynn

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Wow!! I think you should call her a sunflower or bamboo shoot rather than a weed!! We go today (Friday) for Sam & Ellie's check-ups. She still has a couple of weeks until her 3rd (!! how'd that happen?!) birthday but it was convenient with Sam's 9 month check-up (!! again, how'd that happen?!).

Anyway. I'm sure my Peanut won't come anywhere near the stats for your Weed. :)

Kerrie said...

Oh my!! Emily, you are growing beautifully!! Pretty soon you're going to double Aidan's stats :)

Janis @ SneakPeek said...

How awesome that she is growing & gaining so well. What a stunning beauty she is!!! Austin must be a peewee, he will be 2 in Nov and is about 5 inches shorter than her!

The Goulds said...

Austin will be three next month, and he is right about the same size as Emily. I'm glad she is growing so well.

Holly said...

I hear ya, when you find the time to lift weights let me know!

Caleigh is the same weight but only 30 inches. You do have a tall girl on your hands :-) Congrats on keeping that weight up!

Amy said...

Praise God! Oh, and I am of the opinion that my kids are my weights...lift them and build muscle! No need for special equipment or even "work out" time! :) Thanks for the update!