Thursday, May 28, 2009

What about us?

You may be wondering how we have been. I have not been doing a very good job of keeping you up to date have I? Some days I wonder where the time goes. When things get hectic, the blog definitely moves to the bottom of the list. Well, in case you have been wondering about us, here is an update:

Nothing new to report on the job front. Mike did have an interview about a month (or so) ago. The interview was with the International Mission Board. They were filling an administrative position in their offices in Virginia. On paper, the job sounded like the perfect fit for Mike. He thought the interview went well, but he did not get the job. He was pretty disappointed. Truth be told, I think I was more disappointed than he was. I really, really, really want to be home taking care of Emily. It has been my desire to be home from the moment I found out I was pregnant. For now, Mike takes care of Emily and I work from home, which can be good and bad. The good: I get to work in my slippers, I don’t have to deal with rush hour traffic or office drama, I get snippets of time with Emily throughout the day. The bad: I hear everything that goes on in our tiny little apartment. That can be really hard. When Emily is crying, I want to comfort her. When she is laughing, I want to join in the fun. It can be a real struggle some days.

Don’t get me wrong, I am thankful to have a job. I know there are many people without jobs right now. I don’t take my job for granted. I know that God has provided for our family through this job and I am so grateful for that. I just wonder when things will change. When will I get to be the one that cares for Emily during the day? When will I get to spend more than 2 hours a day with her? I don’t have the answers to those questions. In the meantime, I trust God with our future. He sees the big picture. I just see snapshots of my little corner of the world. He knows what is best for our family and He will meet our needs in His way and in His timing. This is the role that He has chosen for me right now and I hope to honor Him in it. I may still ask questions, but ultimately I trust in His sovereign plan. He is God and I am not!

In related news, Mike has started selling books online and it is going very well. In the beginning, he sold some of his old textbooks in an attempt to make room in our living room for all of Emily’s stuff. Since he had good luck with those books, he has decided to keep at it. One day this week, he sold 10 books in one day. He really enjoys the “hunt” for good deals and the extra money certainly doesn’t hurt!

This past weekend, we had the opportunity to go to a marriage conference at our church. It was pretty informal, but so helpful. Friday night we watched the movie Fireproof and then had some dessert together. If you haven’t seen Fireproof, I highly recommend it. The acting may not be the greatest, but it is a very good movie. Saturday morning, we all had breakfast together (Mike and a few others cooked for the whole group). Then we enjoyed three sessions with our speakers: Hershael and Tanya York. He is a pastor and a professor at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. They shared a lot of wisdom with us, based on their own experience and things they have learned while counseling couples. I know Mike and I really needed to be reminded what marriage is all about. We get so caught up in the daily routine of life that we forget to make time for us. It is far too easy to slip into a habit of just co-existing. We don’t want to just co-exist – we want to have a healthy, thriving marriage. I think this was the shot in the arm that we needed to get re-focused on us.

One Sunday last month, we stayed after church and did a little training session for a group of people who are interested in learning to care for Emily. A friend wanted to help organize some babysitters for us and we wanted the sitters to know how to feed Emily. G-tube feeding is not difficult, but it is not something most people are used to doing. So we did a little demonstration for a group of 20-30 people. We figured once people saw us do it, they could decide if they were comfortable learning how to do it on their own. I think it went pretty well. Many people came up afterwards and said: “I could do this” or “This doesn’t look so hard”. Starting in June, we have sitters scheduled once a month. So we will be able to have a date night again. Woo hoo!

So that is what we have been doing with ourselves lately. We lead such exciting lives don’t we?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually yes, we were wondering how the two of you were doing. Thanks for the timely update. Sounds like God continues to use you all during these often difficult times to continue reaching out and blessing others. You both are amazing parents and godly friends. I pray God will encourage you with your friends and family as you refocus on each other (we all need that very often) and begin enjoying your date night again (look forward to reading some of those posts, except for the night-owl ones of you being at the bar). We love and miss you guys so much and continue to pray Isaiah 40:31 for you.

Blessings,
Lynn

Keri said...

Beautiful post. Love how you talk about God. It is so uplifting and refreshing. Thank you.

Glenda, saved by grace said...

Emily is beautiful. We have a 22 year old w/ CP.

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Dawn, I'm glad you are getting some babysitters and had a great time of refreshment. Praying the God will bring you home and give Mike a job soon. :)

We love you all!