Sunday, May 17, 2009

Don't worry, we will keep our day jobs

Today, our church had a bake sale to raise money for the youth group. For days, Mike and I have been talking about what we would make for the event. I found some recipes online for cute cakes & convinced Mike that we should make them. Looking back now, I can see that I really had delusions of grandeur! Both cakes proved to be more difficult than we expected.


Here are some shots of the turtle cake that Mike made:

Isn't it adorable? I think he did a great job! The candy on the top of the cake took a LOT of hard work. This turtle is pretty close to the one that was listed online. The only difference is the top - Mike used a bit more color.

And here is a picture of the butterfly cake that I made.
This cake looks nothing like the one that I found online. It has a few similarities, but many more differences. I was not really thrilled with the way that it turned out. It was SO hard to frost. That is why you do not see any side shots of the cake - the sides look terrible (ever try to frost the inside of a cake? If you know how to do this easily, please let me know).


The last item that I made was Peanut Butter Balls.
I have made these LOTS of times, so there were no issues here. They are not really baked, but they are delicious! Ty Patty was very happy with the way they turned out. He didn't get to eat any though - Mike and I tested them out before bringing them to the bake sale (someone has to do it!).


The bake sale was a huge success for the youth group. We were glad to be a small part of the money that was raised. Next time around, I think I will aim a little lower - for my own sanity.

5 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I'm impressed!! Mike's turtle is very cute (though I'm assuming that's a tail?!). Your butterfly is beautiful!!! Wow! Anytime you want to send a care package of peanut butter balls back to RI, feel free!

Lori said...

Mike and Dawn and Emily too!
I think the cakes look awsome! you both did a great job! Don't throw in the towel yet you just started and did great! Love you all♥
Lori

Kerrie said...

The cakes look awesome! I'm so impressed. I was wondering how you make the butterfly cake. Great job - glad the bake sale was a success!!

AshleyS said...

they look yummy compared to what I would have made!!

and your Emily is precious!!

michael, christy, & marion said...

Nortons vote for Dawn's cake. Good job, Mike, but, Dawn, the talent! You guys are fun and your sweet girl is so cute. We love the video...her smile is contagious!